Follow by Email

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Trusting God...all the time!

Trust isn't always something that comes naturally.  Trust is built, like a house.  And in case you hadn't noticed, houses take a long, long, time to build.  Sometimes months!  And that's that same with trust.  However, just like a house, trust can be destroyed in an instant.

What I find strange, however, is that we trust people much easier than we trust God.  Now think about this.  It's kinda weird that we are most trusting of human, sinful, people than we are of a perfect and holy God!  :-o WHAT?!?!??!?!  This is insane!!  But, it has a lot to do with "seeing is believing."  We believe in things that we can physically see and/or touch.  At least, I know that's how it is with me...now if you're one who can trust God so easily, I applaud you!  And envy you...

I have this calender flip thing (I'm not sure exactly what it's called...).  For every day of the year, there is an encouraging quote or verse.  Yesterday, August 22, it said "When it is the hardest to trust God--that's the time when you should trust Him the most."  If I could show you my reaction, I would...it was *jawdrop* *facepalm* WOW!  ;)  

I get the Air1 verse of the day via email.  Now, being away for a month meant that they got backed up...A LOT!  So, I had some catching up to do!  Now this particular day, August 22, I was reading one of those verses sent in July.  And this is what it was: Psalm 62:8 "Trust in him at all times, you people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge."  AMENA!!!  

For Uganda, I had to trust God.  I HAD to!  There was no other option for me to get the money for the trip because it was a honking $5,000!  We don't have that much cash just lying around, especially not for a mission trip, which compared to bills and food and doctor visits, isn't as important.  But trust God I did.  And it was hard...really hard.  I remember going to my Dad a few days before our garage sale, which was the Saturday before the ticketing deadline when I had to have half of the money in.  I climbed up on his lap (yes I still fit, don't judge me!) and started crying my eyes out, sobbing that I wasn't going to get to go on the trip and I wasn't going to have enough money and all this other stuff.  I was pretty much freaking out!  But he told me that if God wanted me on the trip, He would provide.  I just had to trust.  So when I uncurled and went back upstairs, I prayed again, so hard, that God would not only provide the money to go, but would also provide me peace to trust Him.

Some of you know the rest of this story...I received a substantial amount of money within three days and had more than enough to meet the ticketing price!  And get this, the garage sale still hadn't happened!  I was astounded and then ashamed at how shocked I was.  The whole point of this was to trust the Lord!  I've had many instances since where I've had to trust the Lord and I will have many, MANY more.  Trust isn't something that only happens occasionally in the Christian walk.  Trust is a lifestyle!  How much do you trust the Lord?

We have so much here in America, it's harder to trust God.  But in Uganda, where they have so little, they trust God with their whole hearts!  Sure, they still worry about things such as sickness and having enough food, but looked to God and praised Him for everything that they did have!  During the three weeks I was in Africa, I got to talk to so many people who trusted the Lord.  Now we Americans, who live in a nation that was founded on Christian principles, are so...so...spoiled that we forget to trust the One who made us and gives us the breath we breathe!  But people in Uganda, who have dealt with war in their backyard and been beaten and scared and impoverished to the point of starving, yet they trust the Lord so much more!  You've heard it said that it's easier to trust God when things are going well.  That's how so many people live.  I, however, want to change that.

Today, I choose to trust God in EVERYTHING, in EVERY circumstance, in EVERY trial, in EVERY SINGLE THING!  I challenge you to do the same.  (By the way, I've tried this the past couple days, and boy, it makes your life so much freer!  Even if things still aren't going well, you're able to smile and dance in the rain.  After all, rain makes a beat with every drop that taps the ground!  Let's dance!)

No comments:

Post a Comment