Follow by Email

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Maybe Not Your Everyday Valentine's Day Post

February...the month of pinks and hearts and love songs and, if you live in the Midwest, snow!  If you're like me, you hate this time of year.  Like, seriously hate it.  More than the Emperor hates Jedis.  It's that time of year when already established couples have an extra excuse to be cutesy and lovey dovey and those who are single tend to get a little more desperate for a date.  Now don't get me wrong, some people are absolutely adorable and I don't mind watching them around Valentine's Day.  Some people are just kinda gross.  Now, I could spend this blog post hosting a pity party for myself but that's not the purpose.

The purpose is instead to show you that there is more to February than the dreaded couples' day.  When we get to February, some people feel that they need Valentine's Day to lift their spirits as the long winter months have become almost unbearable.  Winter, that season when things seem to die and the sun disappears behind clouds.  Winter is usually tolerable from late November until January but by the time February begins, people start getting antsy.  I think that's why so much focus is put on Valentine's Day.

There is so much more to the month of February though.  It's one of those final months before spring begins, the season where all life around us is reborn.  A time of new beginnings.  Now, that may sound extremely girly and cheesy, but that's what excites me about spring.  After being stuck in winter, I feel empty and dry and need new life to feel renewed.  Sometimes I think that that's what Valentine's Day is somewhat attempting to do.  Now before you twist my words to mean something I didn't imply, understand this: this "love holiday" is not all bad.  We just put a little too much focus on it.  Honestly, I don't think you need a holiday to have an excuse to take your special someone on a fancy date or buy them flowers.  There shouldn't be a social pressure to do something like that; it should be out of the goodness of your heart instead of an unspoken guilt trip...shouldn't it?  (For those of you who really like Valentine's Day, that's great!  Glad you make it work well!)

A lot of these thoughts honestly do come out of the pity parties I hold for myself lately.  Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind experiencing Valentine's Day differently than I have all the other years.  (Although the time I got my license on Valentine's Day was pretty epic!)  However, I want to flip my way of thinking to focusing on a different purpose for this time of year.  This month, I want to spend time preparing myself for the things God is going to do in and through me.  I want to prepare myself for the new life I will have in my spirit.  That's the purpose I want February to have during this stage of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment